[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 7 19:34:39 UTC 2007

Quoting ttw+drupal at cobbled.net:

> On 07.09-00:28, Thomas Barregren wrote:
> [ ... ]
>> Assume you write a module for Drupal. Any meaningful module to Drupal
>> implements at least one hook. That alone makes the module a derived work
>> of Drupal.
>
> this is wrong.  it is an over zealous attempt to extend the legal
> coverage of copyright and licensing laws.  you may interface to
> software as you like, what you cannot do is copy and modify and
> distribute that software as your own.

I don't see how Thomas is wrong.  What he says is the heart of the GPL.

--8<--
> i would re-state what an earlier poster said which is, it would be
> better to put together a list of copyright holders and correct
> current licensing discrepancies.  then tackle how you wish to
> address this issue internally.  only then should you start
> propounding this sort of dictum.

While a preamble is indeed a good idea the lack thereof doesn't harm
the copyright or the license with which the package is distributed.
The copyright is owned by the producer of the code and the license
allows the copyright holder to give you the right to use it.  It can
also be contrived that since I freely gave the code that is covered by
my copyright to Drupal that I also transferred the copyright to Drupal.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/