[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

Thomas Barregren thomas at webbredaktoren.se
Sat Sep 8 10:12:13 UTC 2007

andrew morton skrev:
> On 9/7/07, Kevin Reynen <kreynen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 16. Audio - http://drupal.org/project/audio
>>  - includes XSPF Flash player (139K) found at
>> http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/
>>

> I've been doing my best to ignore this thread but did want to point
> out that the XSPF players are under a BSD license. I was advised at
> one point that since BSD is a more permissive license it was safe to
> include. I've specifically not included players under a CC license.
>
> When the dust settles on this I hope someone will let me know what's
> permissible.

The BSD is one of several Free and Open Source (FOSS) licenses that are
compatible with GPL. (However, the old version of BSD is not compatible
with GPL because of the requirement of attribution.)

Follow these links to read more about compatibility and which licenses
are compatible with GPL:

    * http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#WhatIsCompatible
    * http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#WhatDoesCompatMean

The list of licenses compatible with GPL v3 has increased tremendous as
compared with v2. Another good reason to move to GPL v3. Follow this
link to see all licenses compatible with *GPL v3*:

    * http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

Best regards,
Thomas