[development] Modules that integrate non-GPL PHP apps violate the GPL.

ttw+drupal at cobbled.net ttw+drupal at cobbled.net
Sun Sep 9 14:09:40 UTC 2007

On 07.09-15:34, Earnie Boyd wrote:
[ ... ]
> >>Assume you write a module for Drupal. Any meaningful module to Drupal
> >>implements at least one hook. That alone makes the module a derived work
> >>of Drupal.
> >
> >this is wrong.  it is an over zealous attempt to extend the legal
> >coverage of copyright and licensing laws.  you may interface to
> >software as you like, what you cannot do is copy and modify and
> >distribute that software as your own.
> >

> I don't see how Thomas is wrong.  What he says is the heart of the GPL.

because the GPL is a copyright license and this statement is in
direct conflict with copyright law and, as such, is a zealous
attempt to extend the coverage of copyright.  for example, if your
write a book and i quote your work (for any wide range of reasons)
you cannot sue me under copyright.  this is the comparitive legal
situation.

i would much rather assert a notion of freedom than discuss legal
aspects of law.  what is relevant on this list is what this
community choses to enforce - let the legal aspects sort themselves
out after that.