[development] Actions usability fix

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Tue Sep 11 16:50:45 UTC 2007

On 11-Sep-07, at 12:18 PM, Karoly Negyesi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As http://drupal.org/cvs?commit=80837 now in, we all owe Angie Byron
> (webchick) a beer (or maybe a pony -- this was not a mere beer-sized
> work) -- the patch may be the work of others besides her but it was
> her relentless work that made this possible.

Wow, thank you so much!

However, there's no way in heck I can get a pony all to myself. ;)

This patch was a Herculean effort by a several people:

- Everyone in #drupal at the time we were first discussing how
confusing this new feature was. We spent over an hour all
brainstorming together about where to start unmuddling things.
- chx, who, as always, helped coordinate efforts, get people testing
it, etc. :) He also fixed a couple critical side issues that
prevented the module from working properly.
- Eaton, who jumped in as an Actions expert while we were flailing
about and solidified the concepts better to help get us started.
- dmitrig01, who powered through on the first few patches, and helped
me figure out (and even documented!!) how to add/remove files from
CVS without commit access (for those who are curious: http://
drupal.org/patch/create)
- meba and Michelle, who as users who had not tried Actions before,
spent a lot of time offering critical pieces of advice on concrete
steps we could take to help make things simpler.
- John VanDyk, who made sure we made sane decisions, and came up with
elegant solutions to some of the identified problems.
- add1sun, fajerstarter, metzlerd, pwolanin, Rob Loach, Shiny,
snufkin, wwwebernet, for also contributing testing results and advice
on wording of help text, functionality, etc.
- Dries, for agreeing to the module rename this late in the cycle.
- And of course Gábor, for actually committing the darn thing. ;)

I think this issue is a tremendous milestone for us as a project.
Drupal has this reputation for being developer-focused and looking at
usability things as an after-thought. While no patch can save the
world, even a core patch, we did manage to show with this one that
usability *is* a priority for us as a project, and moreover that we
are able to assemble a team of ready and willing folks to help
address issues. You should all be very proud. :)

-Angie