[development] Coding style update -- does the concat operator coding style make sense?

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Thu Apr 10 20:33:06 UTC 2008

Konstantin took some initiative after my umpteenth teeth-gnashing fest
over the inconcistency of the concatenation operator in Drupal's coding
standards.

Personally, I Don't Get It. Why does the . operator have a different
coding standard than any other binary operator? Why does:

'foo'. $bar

make sense, but

3+ $bar

not make sense?

I don't quite get the special relationship between strings and the .
operator that Drupal's coding standard espouses. Attempts to explain it
to me have, thus far, failed. Also, I've never seen this standard
anywhere else, not in any other language, nor anything even remotely
like it.

Konstantin's patch to Drupal would remove this inconsistency and let us
change this standard: http://drupal.org/node/245115