[development] Being noisy on installation...

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Fri Apr 11 04:29:22 UTC 2008

Morbus Iff wrote:

> So, I was reading over:
>
>   http://drupal.org/node/161085
>
> and saw one of my personal pet peeves jump out: "Even if your module
> doesn't have need of a hook_install function, it's nice to Display a
> note confiriming that the module is installed and ready for action."
> Core doesn't do it at all and, as far as I can tell, it originated
> with Views (which most folks take as an admonition that It's Right).
>
> Thoughts from the peanut gallery? At first blush, I'm horrifically
> opposed to it, because I think we have enough to worry about then
> reading /successful/ messages - I'd much rather Drupal interrupt me
> when something /bad/ has happened, not when something I /expect/ to
> happen actually happened. But, playing my own devil's advocate, I
> could say that "well, there's precedence already - we always inform
> the user when something has been created, updated, or deleted
> successfully".
>
> Whatever we decide, I care about consistency. If we're going to
> recommend this in our style guides, then /core should do the same thing/.

I'm not sure Views originated this technique; but then again, I'm not
sure it didn't.

Right now, our module install process is <b>horrible</b> about giving
feedback. When installing a new module, <b>I</b> still have trouble
figuring out what to do next. This is an area that desperately needs
improvement. I agree that splashing up a "this has been installed"
message isn't the answer, but some feedback is better than no feedback;
but it's not really enough. We need to be telling users what to do next.