[development] Being noisy on installation...

Zohar Stolar z.stolar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 06:25:15 UTC 2008

` Iff wrote:

> Whatever we decide, I care about consistency. If we're going to
> recommend this in our style guides, then /core should do the same thing/.

Consistency is important. When I was younger, my mother always told me
to call her when I was away, so she knows everything is fine. I figured
out that if I start doing it, she'll get used to the idea, and then,
even if something /good/ prevents me from calling - she'd be worried...
So I decided to call only if I needed something (which didn't prevent
her from worrying :-) )

Based on my own experience, I can tell that *most people expect feedback
also for successful operations*, mostly when they are not very technical
(95% of the users, no?).
I see many users that are literally afraid of doing stuff on the site,
because they don't want to break anything. Drupal can be scary to the
common user.
Having the green messages is a calming thing - as a user I know I did
something good, that didn't break the site. it has a great value.

On the other hand, there should be a way of selectively not displaying
some or all messages, in a comfortable manner. How about a
hook_message_alter? Has this ever been discussed?

Zohar