[development] Being noisy on installation...

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 10:25:14 UTC 2008

Well, we should handle the noise in the same way Linux does: on the one hand
there are switches for noisy (-v) and quiet, and on the other, all utilities
provide comforting messages for the newbie by default, which more
experienced hands, justly horrified by so much need for calming insecurity,
know how to send to the bit bucket for automated or cron run processes via a
redirect to /dev/null.

Since this whole discussion seems to have evolved into a "how to improve the
module installation process" or even "what should our module installation
process be like", I think it should incorporate this time proven
administration pattern: provide switches for noise levels and have the
option to send all output to the bit bucket, but for heaven's sake, keep the
warm and fuzzies for the newbies!

saludos,

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar