[development] Being noisy on installation...

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Fri Apr 11 16:31:35 UTC 2008

Jason Flatt wrote:
> On Fri Apr 11 2008 6:36:36 am Morbus Iff wrote:
>
>> What about including an "administer" link on each module's entry on
>> admin/build/modules and it'd take you to admin/by-module#MODULENAME, so
>> you could see all the admin-y menus that it defines?
>>

> http://drupal.org/node/216301#comment-712479
>
> "...
> Quick access to the configuration area.
>
>  Usually, after I've installed a module (or theme), the first thing I want to
> do is check out what configuration options and access controls are available.
> That is usually a two or three click process (not counting the time it takes
> to re-find the module). If the module is one of those that puts its settings
> in a non-standard place, it's many more clicks ("Where is that page?"). Also,
> along this same vein, indicating that there are no configuration or access
> control settings, so I don't spend five minutes looking for the non-existent
> page.
> ..."

This is one of the things that, IMO, is best covered in an accompanying
readme -- links to all the places where you need to go to configure the
module.

This is also one of the uses of the admin/by-module page -- perhaps if
we focused on a brief message there that referred users to the readme,
the handbook page, the help documentation within the module, etc. This
would both reduce the noise on install, and provide a central place that
already exists to use as a starting point for this type of (very
helpful) info. This brief message could also indicate that a module had
no config options.