[development] Being noisy on installation...

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Sat Apr 12 03:38:48 UTC 2008

I think that drupal_set_message() in this incarnation is being
misused.  From a UI perspective, I think drupal_set_message should
provide the feedback that an operation was successful, especially
when you don't get transitioned to a new page.  In the modules page
it should read something like, "12 modules succesfully enabled".

I think help messages should be something more persistant.  I could
see a messaging interface separate from watchdog.   I think a
lightweight messaging interface (not email) would be useful for core,
but I could also see a new watchdog type and improved search
functionality could be made to do the job.

I think Ideally html messages with links, so that an admin would get
a nice user friendly welcome message from the module when it is
installed would be a great thing.  Modules could also invoke this
message handler when the upgrade hook fires, letting the admin know
if there was additional (manual) work to be done that it needs to be
done and what it is, complete with additional links to docs if they
exist.

Dave