[development] New advanced help module

Jose A. Reyero drupal at reyero.net
Mon Apr 21 20:15:44 UTC 2008

Earl Miles wrote:
> Gábor Hojtsy wrote:
>> Well, I think Jose refers to those developers "out there", who might
>> develop custom modules for local (non-English sites), and might not
>> want / be able to write English help pages. Hacking in empty base
>> files for English might not be a good option.
Yes, thanks Gabor, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

> This is fine for help files. And the system work will that way
> beautifully with help files, so I'm more than happy to tell module
> developers to write their help files in whatever base language they
> want. If English users use it, I'm sure an English translation would
> be easy enough to get and put in.

This sounds great.

Usually when developing a module for a client in a different language, I
try to use t() wrapped English strings when there's just a few of them,
always thinking that it may-be contributed/translated in the future. The
main issue though were the help texts which are usually longer, so it
was not practical at all to use the localization system for that.

But if this new system allows any base language -I had missed that when
looking at the code- then it is just great. Thanks.