[development] RFC: drupal as a moving target

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 14:32:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:19 AM, John VanDyk <jvandyk at iastate.edu> wrote:

> At 1:29 PM +0200 4/28/08, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
>
> > Drupal is now a mature project and people start to rely on it for
> > projects that have a longer life span than the release process of
> > Drupal.
> >

> My understanding is that these kind of people are the target market for
> Acquia's commercially supported Carbon distribution.

John's comment goes to the heart of the question.

I think the security is admirable in Drupal. I want to remove that entirely
from the discussion, because moving target or not, we have the best security
we could possibly have.

But I think the central policy point worth discussing is: in order to obtain
a Drupal capable of actually being used in the real world for production
sites, must one be forced to opt for commerical products / versions because
the real cost is enormous?

I use Ubuntu, the free, open source, off-the-shelf release, and I am not
forced to pay for a "Red Hat" version to rely upon it.

The question being raised is this: Is Drupal being driven to be such a fast
moving target that real time-to-market costs can only be afforded by large
shops?

If the answer were yes, then we are forced to examine whether
economic/financial/corporate interests are at work pushing it in that
direction.

Instead of sweeping the issue under the carpet.

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar