[development] RFC: drupal as a moving target

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Tue Apr 29 04:25:15 UTC 2008

Yes we have this conversation every time a new major release gets
released, and yes, I think in general we come to the conclusion that
we like the system the way it is.  I know that the foundation has
spent some time doing research to this end cause I was one of those
surveyed, and I think that there is a lot of good and  thoughtful
work being done to ensure that drupal has struck the right balance.

I wanted to point out a couple of things, though.

First, Ivan is a regular on the support list, so lets not completely
lump him into non-contributer role.  He's got a little merit to
spend :).

Second, know that most of us who aren't in the consulting business,
(I'm in education for one) have to convince our bosses or
organizations  or heads to let us be a contributing member of this
project.  The regular work of porting modules is one of the harder
ones to defend, because when we need to port the organization doesn't
always see the value.  Earl, correctly points out that this really is
the price of open source software, and well worth it from my
perspective.   I'd also say though that as one of the people who
needs to champion the need for us to continue to contribute to drupal
at our college, I listen to Ivan's pain with a very sympathetic ear.

I certainly don't think anyones being disrespectful here, but I
wanted Ivan to know that his contributions weren't being ignored.

Dave