[development] RFC: drupal as a moving target

Steven Peck sepeck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 23:30:19 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Earl Cooley III <shiva at io.com> wrote:
> catch wrote:
>
> > If anything this suggests another approach: if Views and/or CCK don't get
> as much into core as we'd like for D7, then perhaps we should consider
> either of them not being ported to D7 a release critical bug for D7 core
> too, and not release without them.
> >

>  Based on downloads, it should be possible to select a list of the most
>  popular contributed modules for which this would be a good thing.
>
>  --
>   Earl Cooley III (shiva at io.com) The "Other" Earl

Yes, we used to have this issue where contributed module maintainers
could be bothered to track core development so complained about
no/little notice for a window to update their modules.  So a public
alpha and beta period of several weeks was initiated in the hopes that
the contributed module maintainers would port their modules during
this time frame.  Core is core.  There is no 'gold repository' for
contributed modules. (Yet another repeated variation on this debate)

The specific issues this cycle with Views and CCK were already
discussed and making rules for what may be a one time thing seems
silly when Drupal 7 isn't even in freeze.  Code freeze for Drupal 7
would be the time to reconsider but honestly, the best thing to do is
use this time to get that desired functionality into core.

Code sooner then later.

Steven Peck
-sepeck
 http://www.blkmtn.org

http://drupal.org/project/Modules
Quote:
Contributed (contrib) modules are plugins for Drupal that extend,
build or enhance Drupal core functionality. Use matching versions
(modules released for Drupal 5.x will not work for Drupal 6.x).
Contributed modules are not part of Drupal core releases and may or
may not have optimized code/functionality. If a module solves your
needs please consider joining forces and helping the maintainer.