[development] Advanced DB features

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Wed Apr 30 21:18:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:27:31 -0700, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd at commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:18:19 -0500
> Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:
>
>> My queries, according to dev module, are quite rarely more than 5
>> ms.  I don't know where you're getting that 30 ms number from.  And,
>
> Have you timed from execution on remote machine to connection on
> postgresql machine (pooled/persistent or not) and back?
>
> Joshua D. Drake

No, I can't say I have because A) I don't use PostgreSQL and B) A database server that is sufficiently "remote" that network latency becomes a problem is too far away to begin with.  It should be on a computer sitting on the same ethernet switch as the web server, ideally, or at the very least the same subnet in a data center.  (Most worthwhile web hosts will do the latter, with really really fast ethernet connections between them).

Also, don't use persistent connections with Drupal, or with PHP for that matter.  They are frequently buggy.

I'm not saying the DB layer can't be improved, it most certainly can, but I think you're looking in the wrong place to do so.

--Larry Garfield