[development] FAQ: Why is Drupal still using CVS when X is a much better choice?

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 00:32:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Earl Miles <merlin at logrus.com> wrote:
> It seems like it would be difficult to translate our
> current tagging system to SVN and I am concerned that the amount of work to
> do so would be wasted effort. IMO, we have a lot more important problems to
> solve than this.

As some of you know, about a year ago I wrote a port of cvslog.module
that uses Subversion instead of CVS, but otherwise is pretty much
identical.  In the process I had to modify the xcvs scripts to
function properly with Subversion.  I've been using this module on a
site I run, and the conventions used on the site are pretty similar to
what's used on d.o, especially relating to the tag and branch naming
conventions.

Basically, the script requires that tags be in /project_name/tags and
branches be in /project_name/branches.  I can't say the scripts are
foolproof, as there are many fewer users on my site, but it's worked
well so far.

The downside is that this is not done using the Versioncontrol API,
and so probably not something that we'd want to use directly on d.o.
But I am pretty confident that we could use SVN and keep pretty
similar conventions.

Adam