[development] FAQ: Why is Drupal still using CVS when X is a much better choice?

Jacob Singh jacob at civicactions.com
Fri Aug 1 16:40:33 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

As a version control junkie, I would be heavily in favor of this
switch.  For development shops, there is an added expense of training /
fixing mistakes when people use CVS.  I've been working in IT for 10yrs,
so I know CVS fairly well (although it is foggy), but many of our
developers are 22-25yrs old and have just heard of CVS the way I have
heard of COBOL :).

I can't say I will volunteer however to fix this across the drupal.org
enterprise.  What I can do if people are interested is help in securing
funding for some people to do it.  I don't know the drupal politics
around this, but I believe this job may simply be too large and complex
to pull off with a volunteer effort.

I don't suppose this is something the Knight foundation would grant
money too, but if not, would it be possible to pass the hat around to
the various Drupal shops to raise money to support a couple people to
take this on full time for a few weeks?

Best,
Jacob Singh