[development] Choosing the N number for .install's hook_update_N

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Mon Aug 4 21:37:06 UTC 2008

Derek Wright wrote:
> Not really.  Just like I don't think the right time for a new release is
> after every commit, I also don't think the right time for a whole new
> major version is after every new feature.  10 new "major" versions in
> the span of even 3 years seems like an awful lot.

I agree with this. Major versions should be pretty major. And while I've
been excessively major with my major versions in the past, I would
expect that bumping the major version number of a product has some very
serious changes to it that will fundamentally change how it or a part of
it works and/or how you use it.

However, each maintainer must determine his or her own policies in
regards to these issues.