[development] Choosing the N number for .install's hook_update_N

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Aug 7 12:20:29 UTC 2008

Quoting "Frederik 'Freso' S. Olesen" <freso.dk at gmail.com>:

> Earnie Boyd skrev:
>> Quoting Derek Wright <drupal at dwwright.net>:
>>> C) Any contrib with 10 versions of itself for the same version of
>>> core needs to seriously consider its own release planning.
>>
> >The module version should start over with 1 for each major version
>> release of Drupal.  That is ridiculous because the version number of
>> the module should be relative to its major releases.  So when
>> mymod-5.x-2.0 moves to version 6 it will be named mymod-6.x-2.0.
>
> Why?
>
> Pathauto 5.x-2.x is functionally (and almost codewise) identical to
> 6.x-1.x. Pathauto 6.x-2.x is where new features get in now. Once
> Drupal 7 comes along, Pathauto 7.x-1.x will be the branch porting the
> Pathauto 6.x code, no matter if we're still at 6.x-2.x, or if we've
> reached 6.x-9.x – the first major Pathauto version branch for
> Drupal 7 will be Pathauto 7.x-1.x.

Because the version of the module is solely independent of the version
of Drupal.  The version of the module indicates API and/or UI
differences.  If you have version 2.x of your module in version 5.x of
Drupal and then change it to version 1.x for version 6.x of Drupal; one
tends to view the 6.x-1.x as the same interface as 5.x-1.x.

But I'm wrong and will shut the hell up.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/