[development] FAQ: Why is Drupal still using CVS when X is a much better choice?

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 12:40:59 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 4:45 AM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
<mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:
> From _my_ point of view as a user and as a contrib I'd feel happy
> with Joomla approach as well.
> I don't see any reason to ask for a cvs account on drupal to develop
> my modules. I have my project infrastructure and if I hadn't one I
> could pick up one from the many offered, building up my preferred mix
> of bug tracking system, rcs, documentation system, ...
> I may be missing something... if so please tell me what could be the
> advantage for contrib and users to use drupal infrastructure for
> project management I don't get. Other than publicity what do I get
> from drupal infrastructure?
>
> Making it clear (to me and to everyone else) what are the advantages
> of using drupal infrastructure for project management would surely
> help.

Feel free to contribute in whatever way you feel best serves your needs.

Using the d.o infrastructure for project management does provide some
real benefits to the user community as a whole and to individual
projects.  First of all, nobody has to worry about finding a service
to use, or building their own.  There are no RCS servers to maintain.
Plus, there is a consistent interface to all of these tools across
projects.

In addition, the update_status module gets its information from
drupal.org.  If your module isn't hosted on d.o, then users of your
module will not be informed of updates, whether these updates include
security fixes, new features, bug fixes, etc.  In addition, third
party sites like drupalmodules that scrape drupal.org will also
probably not know about your module.  Less visibility often means less
contributions from other developers.

Plus, as you mentioned, the d.o security team only monitors projects
hosted on the d.o infrastructure.

Adam