[development] Solving the dev->staging->live problem

Greg Dunlap gdd at heyrocker.com
Sun Aug 10 16:22:38 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Victor Kane <victorkane at gmail.com> wrote:

The solution probably exists in terms of extracting all objectively
> structural information architecture decisions (panels, menus, blocks)
> into text-based version-controllable definitions, together with
> configuration elements: currently "serializable" via the Installation
> Profile Generators: http://drupal.org/node/180078.
>
> I think a beginning would be to ensure that for Drupal 7 there existed
> an export/import facility for node types; and that CCK, Views, Panels
> and what-have-you work on improving their individual import/export.

Alex Barth recently contact me about exactly this, having come to the exact
same conclusion. He has opened an issue in deploy's issue queue:

http://drupal.org/node/291921

He himself wrote a module quite similar to Deploy called Ports which is
pretty interesting and abstracts import/export a bit beyond what I did.
Maybe he can chime in here about what he's done because I've only taken
really a cursory glance at it.

He also pointed out to me that there are many admin/config level problems
that are currently being worked on individually which could probably help
from some communication. For instance, having well-defined import/export
functionality for all "things" in Drupal would help not only deployment but
install profiles, and probably a bunch of other admin/config-related issues.
I'd love to see everyone discussing their problems in a more public setting,
not here but perhaps in the Change Management group on g.d.o., so we can
pool resources on problems when it makes sense. For all that people seem to
be struggling with these issues, that group is oddly dead.

For more food for thought, there is a ton of interesting discussion in the
comments on my initial blog post about Deploy:

http://heyrocker.com/drupal/content/deployment-and-change-management-framework