[development] Solving the dev->staging->live problem

Greg Dunlap gdd at heyrocker.com
Mon Aug 11 20:25:28 UTC 2008

It would be extremely difficult. For instance:

- Upgrading an existing site would be virtually impossible. Every id would
change, plus you would have to update every foreign key reference to every
id throughout core AND contrib.
- For sites not running pathauto, every URL would change.

That's just a couple of the purely technical reasons. I would also add that
a conscious decision was made to move away from PHP-generated IDs in Drupal
6, and it seems to me very unlikely that this will be reversed. There are
several issues around this in the queues. It would offer us up some great
functionality but I just don't see it happening.

Also I like knowing who the n00bs are :P (Hi, my name is Greg Dunlap and I'm
a n00b.)