[development] Solving the dev->staging->live problem

Alex Barth alex at developmentseed.org
Tue Aug 12 12:09:00 UTC 2008

On Aug 12, 2008, at 5:27 AM, Yuval Hager wrote:
> On Sunday 10 August 2008, Greg Dunlap wrote:
>> When I created Deploy I had a set of goals in mind that I felt a
>> solution
>> had to meet. I think (hope) that most people will agree that these
>> goals
>> represent the ideal of what any staging and deployment system should
>> achieve. Some of this will repeat some of what has already been said
>> insightfully and thoughtfully above, but I kind of wanted it all put
>> together in one place.
>>
>> [snip]
[...]
> Have you considered this type of version control handling for
> deploy? Or maybe
> this is achieved through the serialization that was discussed
> elsewhere in
> this thread?

I can't speak of deploy, but this is defintely one of the three major
use cases I'm having in my mind when thinking of exporting/importing
site structure:

- deployment
- install profiles (or module package configurations)
- version control

One additional thing I'm having in the back of my head is doing the
same thing with content: Once we've figured out what's structure in
our sites, the rest is content, right?

Alex Barth
http://www.developmentseed.org/blog
tel (202) 250-3633