[development] Solving the dev->staging->live problem

Alex Barth alex at developmentseed.org
Thu Aug 14 13:47:04 UTC 2008

On Aug 12, 2008, at 1:33 PM, Dave Cohen wrote:
> In your model taxonomy is "content" while variables are
> "configuration".
> Let's say on my site, one of my taxonomies is "privacy" with terms
> like "public", "administrator only", etc...  Further I configure one
> of the
> taxonomy access control modules to use my privacy terms.
>
> In my mind those terms are part of "configuration" (while other
> terms might be
> considered "content").

While really convenient, I'm starting to consider using taxonomy as
configuration as bad practice.

In the long run, building effective import/export and migration tools
will also mean having a clean distinction between what's content and
what's configuration on the Drupal level...

> While in your model as I understand it, I now have some variables
> (configuration, of the access control module) referring to my term ids
> (content).  So the line is crossed, I can't replicate the
> configuration
> unless I also replicate the content.  If I understand you correctly.
>
> I say this trying to point out that we can't simply divide Drupal's
> database
> into "content" tables and "configuration" tables.  Unfortunately is
> will
> never be that simple.  There are many examples like this where the
> line
> between content and configuration is fuzzy.
>
> While I'm pessimistic about that particular idea, I'm optimistic
> about the
> UUID idea being discussed in the "Unique/Random IDs and drupal"
> thread.  I
> think using UUIDs rather than sequential ids will solve a big huge
> chunk of
> the dev->staging->live problem.
>
> -Dave
>

> On Tuesday 12 August 2008, Kathleen Murtagh wrote:
>> Configuration are things like the variables, blocks, cck type and
>> field definitions, etc  (you can configure settings.php to have
>> unique
>> variable settings on dev and prod). Content is nodes, taxonomy, menu,
>> path, etc.

Alex Barth
http://www.developmentseed.org/blog
tel (202) 250-3633