[development] Solving the dev->staging->live problem

Alex Barth alex at developmentseed.org
Thu Aug 14 13:52:54 UTC 2008

On Aug 12, 2008, at 4:52 PM, Kathleen Murtagh wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Allie Micka <allie at pajunas.com>
> wrote:
>> On Aug 9, 2008, at 8:09 PM, Adrian Rossouw wrote:
>>> One of the things I would like to see in deploy , or any system we
>>> end up
>>> using,
>>> is the ability to generate a module with a .install file for the
>>> configuration info
>>> in install and update_x hooks.
>>>
>>> This allows developers to version their code and configuration
>>> with their
>>> version tracking
>>> system, and roll out new releases the same way they would normally.
>>

>> So my contribution to this thread will be a most-helpful +1.  This
>> is how we
>> do pretty much everything around here, and I'd be disappointed in any
>> solution that wasn't equally as useful.
>
> Another +1.  This is along the lines of what I meant when I said I am
> dreaming of having automated database migrations for Drupal.

I really urge you to take a look at
http://cvs.drupal.org/viewvc.py/drupal/contributions/sandbox/alex_b/port/

and let me know what you're thinking.

I built port module with exactly that in mind: code in version
control, generate install profiles, export/import functions for
deployment modules. I got in touch with Boris on how to join forces
over port and install profile api - because that's the module I see
most overlap with.

> Something quick and easy where someone could say, "Ok, everything I
> just did, export it".  Then the next developer can add importing those
> changes as part of their update workflow.
>
> Something where, a month along in development, someone could say, "You
> know, that commit was bad" and remove that commit from the system,
> including any database changes that were made.
>
> ---
> Kathleen Murtagh

Alex Barth
http://www.developmentseed.org/blog