[development] $custom_theme when does it take effect... when does it not

Dave Cohen drupal at dave-cohen.com
Thu Aug 14 23:06:39 UTC 2008

As Earl points out, $custom_theme only has effect before init_theme() is run.
Afterward, it's too late.  So when you set $custom_theme you had better be
sure no code has called theme(...) yet.  You can check with:

global $theme;
if (isset($theme)) {
  // too late to set $custom_theme.
}

And look out for modules that set $custom_theme without checking first whether
some other module has set it.  (I won't name names, but initials are "og")
So if you want to set the custom theme and make sure noone overrides it, call
theme(...) right after you set $custom_theme.

-Dave