[development] Drupal and acceptance testing

Charlie Gordon cwgordon7 at cwgordon.com
Thu Aug 21 20:52:12 UTC 2008

Caleb Gilbert wrote:
> So far all documentation and comments I can find on Drupal.org seem to
> give the impression that the Drupal project/community-at-large is
> taking the stance that simpletest should be used for acceptance
> testing (please correct me if I'm wrong). This, however, would be
> counter to simpletest's own documentation which suggests to look at
> other solutions for acceptance testing: http://simpletest.org/api/
> (bottom of page)

The Drupal SimpleTest module has progressed far beyond the original
SimpleTest we started with - we now have a more powerful, although
Drupal-specific testing framework which still retains the somewhat
misleading name "SimpleTest" (there's an issue somewhere to rename
SimpleTest to testing). We currently do have both functional and unit
tests working under the current framework - although javascript tests
currently remain impossible, although there are several issues
addressing that point (feel free to help!).

But basically, our Drupal-specific extension of SimpleTest meets our
needs for functional testing and unit testing so well, I don't think
there's really any point to looking into other harder-to-install
automated testing tools - they'll never be used by a sizable percentage
of the Drupal community, whereas the SimpleTest module for Drupal
requires very little in order to function properly. The current
framework covers the vast majority of our testing needs; the tests are
lagging far behind the testing framework here. We don't really need to
rethink our framework or consider other frameworks until we've reached
the limit of what the current framework can do. JavaScript tests would
certainly be nice, but should we really worry ourselves with them when
much important core php code remains entirely untested?

-Charlie