[development] access module

Balazs Dianiska csillagasz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 10:15:42 UTC 2008

Hi all,

for work I am thinking on implementing an access logging module, but
before I would start head on I would like to ask your opinion on the
subject. Drupal core provides a logging module (the access module),
which effectively logs on hook_exit. The problem I have with this
approach is that this
a) as far I know will get ignored for aggressive caching,
b) it gets triggered for page load from any source.

I thought about using a JavaScript snippet placed into the page (maybe
with token so it couldn't be misused, but then a cached page is not
trivial) as most bots cant run the JS. Is there any way a callback
like this could be validated for a cache stored page? What do you
think of the approach?

Would appreciate any feedback,
Balazs