[development] DrupalWebTestCase and changing permissions of authenticate user role

Maarten van Grootel mvgrootel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 11:39:11 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of writing a 7.x patch to create the 'edit own
comments' permission, to give admins the option to prohibit editing of
comments. The functionality is working, but I would like to write a testcase
for it, just to be complete. Here I found either a limitation of my
understanding of the drupal testing framework, or a limitation of the
framework itself.

Because the 'edit own comments' permission is on by default, (the
'authenticated user' role has the permission checked by default), any user
created with drupalCreateUser($roles) will inherit the right to edit their
own comment. Therefore, I can't make a test that checks that a person gets a
403 when trying to edit their post without the right permissions, because I
can't disable the permission in the testing environment.

What I need, and can not find, is a function that will change the
role_permission values for the 'authenticated user'-role, something like
DrupalWebTestCase->drupalSetPermissions($role-id, $permissions).

Am I right to conclude that this can't be done with the current state of the
Drupal WebTestCase? If so, do you have an idea how to solve this in an other
way, or should I just leave the testcase out of the patch?

Thanks,
Maarten