[development] Perms vs Settings

Jerad Bitner sirkitree at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 19:01:06 UTC 2008

It sounds like you need to use hook_perm() here. Though you can always
implement your settings per role within your module's settings page as well
by pulling in the roles.

The question is how do you want to define the setting relationships to
roles? settings->roles or roles->settings ?

The first you would pull in the roles to your settings page, save the role
id with the setting and then provide your own function to check that
setting's role designator.

The second way you just provide a permission to hook_perm() and then you can
check with user_access().

You also need to determine how you need to use these permissions... Is it a
general permission, such as 'administer this module' or is it a setting that
is per an object. For instance Views and Flag provide access to each
individual object (a view or a flag) so that a particular role can access an
individual object but also provide a permission in the other sense, such as
'can administer this object'.

Hope that helps.