[development] rich text editor

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Mon Feb 4 16:08:50 UTC 2008

The Wysiwyg [1] project along with a working group [2] was initiated to
create a contrib module that shall act as a controller (and integration) for
any RTE/Wysiwyg editor.  Most of the current maintainers of editor
integration modules in contrib have already expressed their interest.

Furthermore, the goal for Wysiwyg is to have a central API for editor
plugins that are provided by Drupal contrib modules (aka. external plugins),
like Image Assist, Asset, aso.  So, if a Wysiwyg editor is enabled for a
textarea, a plugin button should be displayed in its toolbar, otherwise a
plugin button should be displayed below a plain-text textarea.  In addition,
all of these inserted contents should be editable afterwards.  However, this
requires us to have a generic/default way of inserting contents generated by
other Drupal modules into a textarea -- and this is, where Inline API [3]
comes into the game.

I'm working concurrently on these efforts.  Unfortunately, building these
APIs to support every textarea in Drupal, every editor, and every possible
use-case is a quite complex task and requires studying a lot of modules in
contrib.  My personal goal is to have both projects at least in a beta state
in 2008.  Of course, any help is appreciated.

[1] http://drupal.org/project/wysiwyg
[2] http://groups.drupal.org/wysiwyg
[3] http://drupal.org/node/80170

Daniel