[development] Inline API / Wysiwyg API

Daniel F. Kudwien news at unleashedmind.com
Thu Feb 7 00:15:10 UTC 2008

Finally, I found some time to write down my thoughts about "inline" (macro-generated) contents and integration of Wysiwyg editors (including editor plugins) in Drupal over at http://groups.drupal.org/node/8707.

The proposed Inline API gets more and more in shape.  Every interested developer should not hesitate to download the current development snapshot (http://drupal.org/node/217406).

To answer this question in advance: Flexifilter is a completely different module, that allows custom filtering of contents via rules supplied by a administrative users.  Inline API is rather a low-level module, providing easy but powerful input filtering through a standardized macro-syntax, and more(tm).

For reference, you might also want to read the original proposal for Inline API over at http://drupal.org/node/80170 (which became almost 1,5 years old in the meantime).  It contains pointers to several other contrib modules that would benefit from this API.

Ideas, comments, general reviews, and criticism should go into the post at g.d.o.

Sophisticated feature requests and bug reports should be turned into issues against Inline 5.x-2.x, over at http://drupal.org/project/issues/inline.

I don't know yet which parts of Inline API will be re-usable for the proposed Wysiwyg API, or whether Wysiwyg API will partially dependent on Inline API.  Some features need a really tight integration of both APIs.  I guess, we'll find out while we're at it. ;)

cheerio,

Daniel Kudwien
www.unleashedmind.com