[development] rich text editor

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 12:23:40 UTC 2008

On most of the sites I use, manage or built, the primary need is for a
WYSIWYG or RTE editor that is simple, lightweight and provides just a
small set of simple operations.  The most commonly needed operations
are:

1.  Create a link / URL
2.  Insert an image
3.  Set something in boldface
4.  Set something in italics
5.  Create a bullet list
6.  Create a numbered list

That's it.  On these sites, most content is typed in by users, or
pasted as plain text.  Some users don't know HTML and want some style.
 Others (like me) are HTML experts, but are not interested in tripling
the effort and time to write a short comment by styling it completely
with HTML.

So I think there are a variety of "use case sets" ranging from the
simple situation I just described for my sites, to those who need
fancier formatting and the ability to interpret and clean up things
like Word doc HTML.