[development] Minimum MySQL version

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Feb 10 07:12:21 UTC 2008

This has been discussed in a few circles, but this seems the optimal place for
it.  I propose that for Drupal 7 we make MySQL 5.0 our minimum MySQL version.

Justification:

Active support for MySQL 4.1 has long-since ended[1].  It is in
legacy/extended support status now only.  The same is true of MySQL 4.0,
which we've already left behind (fortunately).

Now, let's be realistic.  Drupal 7 is most likely a year away from release,
give or take a month.  Like previous versions, it will likely be the premiere
release for a year or so.  In that year, MySQL 4.1 will cease even extended
support, at the end of 2009, just as MySQL 4.1 legacy support ends at the end
of this year.  That means by the time Drupal 7 ships, with PHP 5.2 as a
minimum requirement, MySQL 4.1 will be about as modern as PHP 4.2. :-)

What does MySQL 5 offer us?

1) SQL Views
2) Stored procedures
3) Perhaps most importantly, many many fewer minor versions each with their
own bugs for us to have to work around.
4) The full changelog[2]

I am flexible on which minor version of MySQL 5.0 to target, but a year from
now there will be no point to keeping MySQL 4.1 around anymore.  Let's plan
ahead to make Drupal 7 the "all 5s" release. :-)

[1] http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/lifecycle/#calendar
[2] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/news-5-0-x.html

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42