[development] Design work on fields in core and more

Barry Jaspan barry at jaspan.org
Sun Feb 10 22:49:46 UTC 2008

Six Drupal developers met for three days in Feburary 2008 to work on
and re-design Drupal's core data architecture. We began with an
overly broad list of topics and goals and spoke in very general terms
about "Drupal's overall mission" and similarly vague concepts. By the
end of the design sprint, we devised a tangible vision for Drupal's
future and an understandable method for getting there.

In more concrete terms, we talked about moving CCK fields in core and
how local data fields (e.g. votes, comments, whatever) can be
attached to remote data objects.

Our notes and discussions are available at
http://groups.drupal.org/data-architecture-design-sprint.  Please
read at least everything starting from our Day 1 notes before telling
us how stupid we are.  :-)

Thanks,

Barry