[development] cutting through the input format clutter

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Fri Feb 15 23:00:44 UTC 2008

Hey,

Today, I reviewed four contrib modules to cut through the multiple
input formats one sets up on a site:
http://groups.drupal.org/node/8911 The approaches taken include
defaulting to the last used format per user, turning off formats
completely for some content types or defining defaults based on
content types and user rules (but leaving the options intact). I think
that Drupal 7 deserves better support for easily pickable input
formats (eg. if the forum is supposed to be bbcode only, then offer
that format only), so I'd like to help get some of this functionality
into Drupal 7. Let me know if you have some additional / better
insight, so we can get the best for all of us.

On a related note, I also submitted a Drupal 7 patch to make input
formats reorderable. This was not possible without DB changes (input
formats were not reorderable before at all):
http://drupal.org/node/222183 Testing/opinions welcome (it is just a
simple DnD improvement using the already established APIs).

Gabor