[development] Module developers, please do *proper* releases !

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Feb 18 14:51:16 UTC 2008

Quoting Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel at free.fr>:

> So ?
> Ready when ready, I agree with that. But two successive versions should
> be called 5.x-1.(n) and 5.x-1.(n+1), with (n) and (n+1) being actual
> numbers, not 5.x-1.x-dev and 5.x-1.x-dev.

You must not understand what -dev is.  It is a rolling bundle tied to
CVS.  So when CVS updates so does the -dev version.  It is labeled -dev
to indicate that it is for developers to help develop the module.  It
is labled 1.x to indicate that the minor version number isn't set yet.
Once the release is made a version is created based on CVS tags as
assigned by the module maintainer.

> Look at the video module for example: not a single 5.x stable release,
> it went through numerous versions, all called 5.x-1.x-dev.
> If you don't use the update module, you're screwed.

If you use -dev in your systems for production then you probably
screwed up.  You need to make sure you test it in your test environment.

> What does it cost to just change the *name* of the versions ?

There are already established rules.  You're the one that isn't
understanding the rules.  -dev has a purpose and certainly not to be
used lightly.  -dev will change, it is its purpose.  You might benefit
from http://drupal.org/node/7765.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/