[development] Module developers, please do *proper* releases !

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Feb 18 16:40:59 UTC 2008

Xavier

Did you know that -dev releases are by definition a nightly build?
This means that they get refreshed daily with whatever content
is in the branch/tag that they are pointed to.

That is what they are, so no room for changing it.

As for enforcing stable releases, this is open source software, which
apart from what Victor said (ready when ready), it is maintained mostly
in the spare time of maintainers, so they handle the releases whichever
way they see fit/have time for.

With open source, you should not "enforce" anything beyond the very basics,
otherwise, you erect barriers, add more work, and discourage participation.

Yes, best practices says that we should do stable releases whenever
possible,
with branches, but all that is more work for the maintainers, and for some
who maintain a lot of modules, it is just not possible to do it across the
board.

A rant may not get the desired effect, but a discussion is good to have to
see
what is the range of opinions on the topic.

In the past, I have seen people request stable releases nicely in the issue
queue
and I have responded to a few of these positively, time permitting of
course.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.