[development] implementing #format

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Tue Feb 19 13:35:31 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 2:12 PM, Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Quoting Gábor Hojtsy <gabor at hojtsy.hu>:
> >
> > Anything obvious I am missing or total misdirection I am taking?
> > Better ideas or tips to get this done easier? Does someone see where
> > I'll stop and freeze without a way forward (because certain APIs will
> > not allow me to proceed without major refactoring)? :) If #format a
> > good idea for input format specification on forms, or should I use a
> > better name? (I would not like to get in conflict with #formatter and
> > friends).
>
> Excuse my ignorance in this part of the Drupal code but ...
> How about adding "${fieldtype}_format" functions to the theme engine
> that look for hooked "${formname}_${fieldname}_format" and/or
> "${formname}_{$fieldtype}_format" else apply a default format for that
> field type?

Probably we don't see/understand each others thinking in its entirety.
What we need is a Drupal core level knowledge of how fields and
formats are tied together, so we can drop input formats when
irrelevant, or attach WYSIWYG editors to then when needed. This will
all be modifiable in the theme, but should not be a task of the theme
or theme engine, since setting up these relations and limits on the
admin interface will be global, certainly not theme dependent.

Gabor