[development] Time to take away RTBC from every Joe

James Walker walkah at walkah.net
Thu Feb 21 14:58:18 UTC 2008

On 21-Feb-08, at 7:57 AM, Moshe Weitzman wrote:
> FYI, what Karoly proposes  is exactly how the Mozilla project works.
> Each patch needs a "super review" from a fixed (but large) list of
> reveiwers. See http://www.mozilla.org/hacking/

Those who have bothered to stick around and listen long enough while
I ramble will know that I'm actually in favor of this kind of
approach. I think it has several benefits :

* Clear responsibility - in case of questions, complications, etc -
the "buck stops" at a defined point for resolution.

* Allows for "domain experts" - very frequently patches come in that
can have tricky, subtle implications for some of the more complicated
systems (menu, formapi, search etc etc etc) and it's *really* hard
(frankly too much to ask) for the few core committers to have
comprehensive understanding of all of Drupal at this level.

* Makes MAINTAINERS.txt actually mean something.

* Rewards solid effort from community members.

etc...

I think at the very least it's a concept worth pursuing.
James Walker :: http://walkah.net/ :: xmpp:walkah at walkah.net