[development] Time to take away RTBC from every Joe

emanuele quinto emanuele.quinto at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 19:57:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 8:01 PM, James Walker <walkah at walkah.net> wrote:

> Uh oh, angie... ;-)
>
> On 21-Feb-08, at 1:37 PM, Angela Byron wrote:
> > James Walker wrote:
>

> Truth is, we're not so different. Mozilla has *thousands* of
> contributors ... they're an older, bigger project... and I think we
> can stand to learn from them as well as others out there. Shoulders
> of giants 'n' all that :-)
> --
> James Walker :: http://walkah.net/ :: xmpp:walkah at walkah.net

Yesterday I found this post of Stefano Mazzocchi (
http://www.betaversion.org/~stefano/linotype/news/104/) very inspiring and I
think his reflections (and Linus words too) on the difference between
CVS/SVN and GIT and implications on community governance are very
appropriate to issue raised on this thread.

It's no matter of religion wars on versioning tools (a knife is a knife no
matter you can kill someone or enjoy some pate' on a croasted bread) it's
the fact that some model (delegation of the autority) could be better than
other (MAINTAINERS.txt).

Maybe Linux is too far from our little blue word but I guess that if we want
to preserve the "passion" of this community we wouldn't move through a more
beuarocratic system.

Well, I don't have any idea which solution could work, but still I think the
debate should take this point very seriously.

best

ema

--
Emanuele Quinto - www.bitvark.it
My mother used to say to me, "Elwood" - she always called me Elwood -