[development] A Git mirror for Drupal CVS

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 14:05:00 UTC 2008

1. Thanks for an excellent background article.

2. see below

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Karoly Negyesi <karoly at negyesi.net> wrote:

> > Just to add my two cents worth... This concept is doubly important, not
> > only in ridding the Drupal Community of the deprecated CVS on the level
> > of source code versioning; but also because of its powerful distribution
> > features: it is a _distributed_ version control system.
>
> Do not reply to this list unless you have very, very well thought out
> answers. I am experimenting with alternates for three years now and my
> stance is now "change? hmmmm not so sure" -- do not rush your answer. I do
> not want another iteration of "let's switch to foo RCS", we had this
> discussion too many times.

We do want to avoid a repetition of past discussions, but we do need the
freedom to discuss alternatives, since the capabilities of these tools has
developed a lot recently.

> Instead of switching, I would like to call out to the developer community
> -- how can we make it easier to use these systems? Can we offer a web upload
> for example for themers? FTP maybe, somehow?

Now, this brings to the fore ideas about having a simple front end solution
for themers, new users, etc., a front end to an arbitrarily complex back
end.

Maybe that is what should be worked on, for the benefit of those folks.

But the rest of it is to also search for solutions for site building and the
eternal quest for separating content from configuration, problems in
deployment, etc.

> Kind regards,
>
> Karoly Negyesi

Saludos,