[development] Module developers, please do *proper* releases !

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 09:53:17 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Earl Miles <merlin at logrus.com> wrote:
>  So, uh. Tell me, how does distrusting a module that only has -dev
>  releases suggest that it's my developer hat talking, anyway?

My point was that saying "-dev" is like saying "this dish contains 8mg
of zinc".  Would you eat something with 8mg of zinc?

Not everyone knows how to interpret "-dev".  I mean, you just spent 2
paragraphs explaining how you interpret "-dev" and that
explanation/interpretation was based on expert knowledge that
end-users don't have (i.e. how Drupal's upgrade paths work).  We can't
assume that people correctly interpret "-dev" like you do.  Neither
can we assume people know what "8mg of zinc" does to their body.

Instead, end-users want to read: "this dish is perfectly healthy" or
"this dish might get you killed".  If a dish can get you killed, it
shouldn't be on the menu to begin with.  Long story short, my point
was that "-dev" is not sufficiently transparent/clear to end-users.
You know how to interpret "-dev", just like a dietitian knows how to
interpret "8mg of zinc".  That's why I said you were still wearing a
developer hat.

PS: our bodies need zinc and 8mg of zinc is perfectly fine.  Adults
have a recommended zinc intake of 12-17 milligrams a day.  We need it
for wound healing, vision and carbohydrate metabolism.  In other
words, you could have installed that module. ;-)

--
Dries Buytaert :: http://buytaert.net/