[development] Making blocks from some setting in Drupal 7?

Matthew Farina matt at mattfarina.com
Sat Feb 23 23:27:38 UTC 2008

Putting function calls in the themes page.tpl.php file would be a step
backward for the theming system.

For the page.tpl.php file the problem of only having the regions you
want in the theme is solved in D5 with hook_regions and in D6 with the
themes .info file.

If we want to keep the separation of layers in drupals PAC like
architecture and allow for any kind of plug-able presentation layer
function calls in the page.tpl.php file isn't a good idea.

The way we use theme('links', $primary_links) in the page.tpl.php
files seems out of place. Shouldn't that be pushed to the preprocess
function?

Matt