[development] Time to take away RTBC from every Joe

Neil Drumm drumm at delocalizedham.com
Mon Feb 25 01:59:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 9:56 PM, Dries Buytaert
<dries.buytaert at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Karoly Negyesi <karoly at negyesi.net> wrote:
>  >  Onwards, I would like to see a small handful people (me not
>  >  necessarily included!) to be able to RTBC core patches. As we go on,
>  >  more and more people will misunderstand what this means. A nice
>  >  pyramid, a few people on top deciding the patches, a few more culling
>  >  the flood of patches for them. As there is already a permission for
>  >  this, a little hacking (which I am willing to do) surely would make it
>  >  possible to have it just for project 3060.
>
>  No thanks.  I want everyone to be able to approve patches.  When I
>  need help from an expert, I'll ask for help -- as I've done on many
>  occasions.  We should focus on removing barriers and red tape, not on
>  introducing more.

I agree. Removing RTBC is not a good solution.

There are plenty of unusual issue status combinations that should not
be used most of the time:
- RTBC with only one user posting
- Features on 6.x and earlier
- Anything on 4.7.x and earlier
- Patches without proper patches

What I would like to see is warnings on viewing those issues, and a
forced preview with warning before submitting those issues.

Most good developers know the rules and follow them, so nothing needs
to be forced since there are exceptions to rules. New developers can
not be expected to know everything right-away, so the instructions
should be contextually shown when needed.

Ideally, this would all work through a configuration tool so we can
rearrange the rules as-needed.

--
Neil Drumm
http://delocalizedham.com