[development] Best practice for update_sql?

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 29 16:01:44 UTC 2008

Quoting Kieran Parsons <kp.0987 at gmail.com>:

> I am wondering how best to change update_sql commands for Drupal 6
> modules. I know that update_sql does not to %-placeholder substitution
> (although previous patches suggest that it was considered and rejected
> -- eg http://drupal.org/node/36324), but now we also need to remove
> literals from db_query
> (http://drupal.org/node/114774#db-query-standard) and so in effect
> from update_sql as well.
>
> This seems to make update_sql much less useful. I looked through how
> the core modules deal with this and they do not seem consistent to me,
> and also do not seem to be following the dq_query change either. Some
> examples from system.install:
>
> $ret[] = update_sql("UPDATE {profile_fields} SET category = 'Account
> settings' WHERE LOWER(category) = 'account'");

$sql[] = "UPDATE {profile_files} SET category = '%s' WHERE
LOWER(category) = '%s'";
$sql[] = 'Account settings';
$sql[] = 'account';
$ret[] = update_sql($sql);

> $ret[] = update_sql("UPDATE {permission} SET perm =
> '$renamed_permission' WHERE rid = $role->rid");

Ditto.

> In many other cases the update is done using db_query and then
> something like:
> $ret[] = array('success' => TRUE, 'query' => "My query");

The update_sql returns an array with the result like this but uses !==
FALSE for the success value.

> is used. But if the db_query failed this will still appear as a
> success and the only error message will be in the normal error message
> (which presumably may only be logged and not displayed in some cases).
>
> What is the best way to deal with this?

I'm not sure.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/