[development] Getting both better internal and external APIs intoDrupal 7

catch catch56 at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 1 20:28:46 UTC 2008

Michelle Cox wrote:

> It will still be confusing. I think anyone who's familiar with social
> networking sites will tend to associate "profile" with people, even
> though it does have other meanings.
>
> Michelle

Well I missed the initial discussion with this, but agree profile is
likely to be confusing. However, I'm not convinced it's too late to
change how it's presented.

When drupal.org is able to provide complete packages to download -
they'll include drupal core + the .profile + modules - so at that point
it's not just an install profile any more - the .profile itself is
simply one component of a bigger package. So why not make that section
of downloads "distributions" (or whatever)? Then profile continues to be
what defines the content of a distribution and how it's set up.