[development] GHOP mid-term status report

Angela Byron drupal-devel at webchick.net
Thu Jan 3 05:56:32 UTC 2008

I posted a GHOP mid-term status report on the front page of drupal.org:
http://drupal.org/node/205806.

Good news:
- More modules ported, including API and Comment Upload, which we need
for drupal.org.
- Vastly increased our unit test coverage for core, and also uncovered a
critical menu bug in the process. :)
- Several features were added to modules whose maintainers took the time
to write up and mentor one or more tasks, including Workflow NG and User
Points.
- We still have about half of the remaining task slots available (97)

Bad news:
- We still have about half of the remaining task slots available ;)
- One of the criticisms from students is lack of coding tasks to choose
from. With all of the coders in the Drupal community, and I'm completely
stumped as to how this could possibly be the case.
- We have tasks out there that have been waiting on us for a review for
*almost a week*. I know people are coming back from the holidays and
stuff, but this is *seriously* uncool, as it's both demoralizing to
students and it prevents them from working on additional tasks.

So please help by:

1. Staying on top of task reviews by monitoring
http://drupal.org/issues/tags/GHOP. I can't over-emphasize how important
this is, since this is the juice that powers students' enthusiasm toward
our project, and actually results in work getting done.

Specifically, the following tasks are overdue (the ones toward the top
/way/ overdue) a review from someone in the community:
   * Add "available update" indicator to installed modules:
http://drupal.org/node/197486
   * Port Event module to D6: http://drupal.org/node/200693
   + Port Text CAPTCHA to D6: http://drupal.org/node/198598
   * Convert Bluemarine to Tableless layout: http://drupal.org/node/200685
   * Drupal 6 theme: http://drupal.org/node/197224
   * TinyMCE config module: http://drupal.org/node/203173

2. Reviewing and contributing additional task ideas:
   * Read the GHOP Task FAQ to get an idea of what we're after:
http://drupal.org/node/200510#ghop-task-faq
   * Review existing task proposals: http://drupal.org/issues/tags/GHOP
   * Propose your own task ideas:
http://drupal.org/node/add/project-issue/ghop

3. Hanging out in #drupal-ghop to help answer students' questions and do
interim reviews with them when you're available.

Thanks a lot, and thanks SO much to the folks who stepped in after the
last mail to help pick up some slack, particularly over the holidays.

-Angie