[development] one small concern left - Re: Reminder: Drupal Association application deadline is January 10th

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Tue Jan 8 14:52:11 UTC 2008

Augustin (Beginner) wrote:
> ===============
> 1.4.2    Article 18: Appointment
> The Board of Directors shall elect from its members a President, a
> Treasurer and a Secretary and such other officers as it deems
> appropriate for the proper operation of the Association.
> ===============
>
> There can only be one President (???). What if there are 3 or more
> candidates?
> For elections where we have a limited, set number of seats (e.g. one
> seat for the president), Approval Voting should be used, and it is
> not sure that it will be, depending on how the election is organised.
>
> I think the Statutes should be amended to specifically state the
> election method.
>
> Yes, but there can only be one president. I doubt the current seat
> will be contested this year, but I am thinking much further ahead.
>
> The part of the Statutes that I quoted above is unclear about how the
> election is to proceed. The election method should be explicitly
> stated.

> Other than this fairly minor, non-urgent point (which I hope will be
> fixed this year), I am happy about the rest because, as I said,
> Approval Voting is being used. Sorry about the noise.

Believe it or not, this isn't broken, it's just weird.

The General Assembly does not vote for Board positions. We only vote for
Board members; we get a yay or a nay.

The chosen board members then figure out who will get what position.
Generally it's fairly obvious, but we've already encountered the very
situation (but not with President) and the board worked it out.

So you can't 'run for president'. You can be a candidate to be on the
board, and you have to talk about what you want to do on the board, but
there's actually no guarantee that you'll get that position.

Like I said, not broken. Just weird.