[development] Fwd: [jQuery] Re: Birthday is coming

Bevan Rudge bevan at lucion.co.nz
Mon Jan 14 02:32:44 UTC 2008

On 1/14/08, Moshe Weitzman <weitzman at tejasa.com> wrote:
> yes, all the usual rules for a drupal patch apply - don't break
> anything in any browser. this is indeed a more onerous test for jquery
> upgrade that a php patch. but once the tests are passed, i think the
> patch is committable. my .02

Could these tests be automated with simpletest and/or selenium?

I expect many of them require visual review that the UI hasn't changed
negatively.  Could this be partially automated with a screenshot-based
framework?  A system like selenium does the clicks and
form-completion, then takes screenshots of patched and unpatched test
sites and compares the images, and/or queues them for human review.

What about interactive pages with JS-based motion (like slowly
collapsing and expanding fieldsets.  Could the above be applied to a
video screencast?

Does such a framework exist?

Such tests could make testing and QA of future jQuery upgrades so much easier.

Bevan/

--
Drupal.geek.nz | Gtalk bevan at lucion.co.nz | YIM rudgy_m_nz | .Mac/AOL
b.rudge | skype b.rudge | Twitter.com/BevanR